List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Can I do this? - map prot 25 to internal mail server - Postfix
From:       Brandin L Claar <claar () arl ! psu ! edu>
Date:       2001-02-28 17:46:26

We use a redirect to send all incoming SMTP traffic through our firewall
to a centralized email server.  The email server is configured to accept
mail for all our domains.  It is great because we automatically took care
of all the people running mail servers with open relaying.  We don't use
private IP for the server, but there is no reason it wouldn't work.  SMTP
seems to be a very firewall friendly protocol.  The thing to watch out for
is MX records.  If you are mapping ALL incoming SMTP to one machine, and you
don't have an external MX listed, SMTP will fail if that one machine goes
down.  You need to have another redirect for your secondary MX to get around
this.

--
Brandin Claar
Network Analyst