List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: QLogic or AdvanSys?
From:       "Adam N. Thompson, MCNE, MCSE" <athompso () commerced ! com>
Date:       2000-04-30 17:52:36

> CAVEAT!! Just as long as you're using the new gear, it's great. I have
3
> of the 7880 based cards in my server and the 2.7-beta kernel has mondo
> problems getting SCB's back and forth. Devices and the controller time
> out. Smurph is aware of the problem and when we last discussed it, he
was
> going to reinclude the PIO mode stuff which is what 2.6 used so that
the
> 7880's would work. But I dare say the PIO stuff (circa February) works
> great. I have 5 software raid's (RAIDFRAME) going on the box and have
> unwittingly tested how good it's recovery is from a hard crash.

Umm, this would be obvious, IMO.  Most of the 7880 cards only ran PIO
mode properly.  It's a known issue, documented in at least one Adaptec
technical note I saw 'way back in another job.

The only 7880 cards that could ever run DMA mode correctly where the
'bastard' cards - i.e. ISA or EISA or (very rare) PCI.  The VL-bus
7880s, which were the "normal" implementation of the day actually were
often missing the DRQ pins altogether so as to prevent this.

Steve: that AHA-2842VL I sent you - is it missing its DRQ pins?  It may
not be, as it's Rev. A, but I distinctly recall pulling a Rev.C card out
of a server one day because I couldn't believe this - and the pins
weren't there on the bus connected.

-Adam Thompson
 athompso@commerced.com