List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: OpenBSD on M1 Mac using VMware Fusion 13
From:       Stuart Henderson <stu.lists () spacehopper ! org>
Date:       2023-11-26 11:54:17

On 2023-11-26, Tito Mari Francis Escaño <titomarifrancis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2023 at 5:22 PM Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Den sön 26 nov. 2023 kl 09:03 skrev Tito Mari Francis Escaño
>> <titomarifrancis@gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > Hi misc,
>> > I want to run OpenBSD on company issued M1 Mac through VMware Fusion 13,
>> > for experiments and development.
>> > I tried to use the ARM64 image but it does not seem to work, it's my
>> first
>> > time to use non-X86 machine.
>>
>> This part needs far more attention from your side, you can't just
>> leave it at "doesn't work". Computers, emulators, operating systems
>> can Not-Work in literally millions of ways.
>>
>> What hardware did VMWare emulate, what were the errors, at which point
>> did it stop?
>

> I was hoping that it would run X86 or AMD64 binary but it didn't.

VMware is a hypervisor not a cpu emulator. (It _does_ emulate various hardware
_devices_ - disk, network, etc - but it runs native code directly on the cpu).

> On the ARM64 side, I was expecting an ISO that I can run thru VMware Fusion
> since it only accepts and runs ARM64 binaries.

There is a recently-added arm64 iso in -current snapshots that you can try.
If it doesn't work, show what you have tried, and explain what you see / what
fails.

(You can try to boot the installer without an iso too, but it's more fiddly,
you need to get the miniroot file dd'd onto a virtual HD image and boot that;
if the iso in -current boots, that's likely to be simpler).