List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: rc.daily missing diff markers
From:       Ingo Schwarze <schwarze () usta ! de>
Date:       2022-04-24 11:02:20

Hi Lyndon,

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote on Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 02:31:55PM -0700:

> Sure.  It just caught my attention today because this is probably
> the first time I've seen such a large batch of changes in one email
> like that.  Which has no doubt happened endless times in the past,
> but I never noticed it until today for some reason.

Indeed, it has mildly bothered me for two decades that this happens at
least once, usually twice a year for every machine i maintain.

For an upgrade, having all those lines is not useful.  Even if i made
some mistake during an upgrade, i wouldn't spot it among such a large
amount of noise.

But i never had an idea how to make this comparison more useful for
upgrades without degrading its usefulness in everyday operation.

Yours,
  Ingo