List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Dhcp client configuration in 7.0
From:       Sebastian Benoit <benoit-lists () fb12 ! de>
Date:       2021-10-30 21:46:48

Arnoud Otten(arnoud@beekberg.nl) on 2021.10.30 22:18:09 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe i am wrong and do not understand this right, but wat should  the ???ignore \
> dns??? option do when used in the dhcpleased .conf config file? Here @xs4all our \
> IPTV network on a separate vlan also gets an ip address and the dhcp offer also \
> sends a dns server which should be ignored.  I also thought that with the ???ignore \
> dns??? option, this dns server was blocked, but that is not what the option does?
> Regards,
>
> Arnoud

The "ignore dns" config option causes dhcpleased to send a RTM_PROPOSAL
message to resolvd with an empty DNS proposal for that interface. This
causes resolvd to remove any nameserver entry for that interface from
/etc/resolv.conf.

Note that resolvd adds comments to the lines it touches in resolv.conf, for
example:
nameserver 192.168.1.1 # resolvd: iwm0

Anyone who thinks the "ignore dns" option does not work could help to debug
this with the following:

* run "route -n monitor"
* empty the dhcpleased.conf: mv /etc/dhcpleased.conf /etc/X.dhcpleased.conf
* cat /etc/resolv.conf, copy the output into an email.
* restart dhcpleased: doas /etc/rc.d/dhcpleased restart
* copy the output of "route -n monitor" into the email
* cat /etc/resolv.conf, copy the output into the email.

then run dhcpleased with the configuration file:

* run "route -n monitor"
* mv /etc/X.dhcpleased.conf /etc/dhcpleased.conf
* cat /etc/dhcpleased.conf and copy the output into the email
* cat /etc/resolv.conf, copy the output into the email.
* restart dhcpleased: doas /etc/rc.d/dhcpleased restart
* copy the output of "route -n monitor" into the email
* cat /etc/resolv.conf, copy the output into the email.

send that email as a reply to this thread.

Thanks,
Benno