List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    trunk(4) behaviour
From:       Thomas <list () crashcom ! info>
Date:       2021-04-25 19:30:05

Hi,

I'm using a trunk(4) interface in failover mode on a webserver.
The master interface (bge0) is connected switch1 and the backup
interface (bge1) is connected to switch2.

I'm testing the fail over with a client that is pinging the webserver.
Now when I plug out the network cable from switch1 the ping traffic ends
up on the backup interface. No interruption, perfect.

But, when I plug in the cable back again the traffic stops. Even though
"ifconfig" says that bge0 is the active interface again.
Only if I plug out the network cable form switch2 the traffic flows again.

Is this the intended behavior of the trunk interface? I was expecting
that as soon as the interface on the master switch is available again,
the traffic immediately goes to the master interface again.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas