List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: How effectiate login.conf changes in console? ("ksh -l" does not)
From:       Philip Guenther <guenther () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-10-31 3:30:06

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 9:19 PM Joseph Mayer <joseph.mayer@protonmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 1:56 PM, Philip Guenther <guenther@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:40 PM Joseph Mayer joseph.mayer@protonmail.com
> > wrote:
> >
> > > After having changed /etc/login.conf I'd like to effectuate the
> > > changes directly in the console, without doing a logout-relogin
> > > cycle.
> > > Running "ksh -l" does not effectuate login.conf changes but only
> > > re-runs the profile script [1].
> > > Running "login" asks for username and password which seems less
> > > efficient than possible.
> > > Is there any way to do this?
> >
> > Since changes to login.conf may mean raising/increasing hard limits,
> which
> > can only be done by privileged processes, the only sure fire way to have
> > login.conf changes take effect is to logout and log back in.

> What about "su -l" [1]?

> If I'm root and do "su -l", will root's login.conf settings be applied?
>
> su.c [2] uses setusercontext() [3], and because emlogin is 0,
> LOGIN_SETRESOURCES is specified as flag, and so is LOGIN_SETUMASK -
> meaning login.conf settings are indeed effectuated by root doing
> "su -l" (relogin as root) or "su -l someuser" (login as someuser).
>
> Correct?

I guess?  Frankly, this is not an area I really care about: if I wanted to
test a login.conf change I would either logout/login if I had the password
for the account, or I suppose if it came up that I didn't, "su -c class" as
root.    If 'su -l' works for you in your testing (you did test it, yes?),
then use it.

Philip Guenther