List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Open source RISC-V 64bit w ECC RAM & PCIe this summer
From:       Chris Cappuccio <chris () nmedia ! net>
Date:       2018-05-29 18:46:39

Rupert Gallagher [ruga@protonmail.com] wrote:
> Everybody loves the idea of an open-source CPU that can be uploaded to an FPGA \
> processor. Anybody from China who starts selling a mini-itx board and an FPGA fast \
> enough to run risc-v will turn the market on its head in 6--10 years, killing both \
> Intel and AMD. ARM is fabless already...

FPGAs capable of doing anything big take lots of power and generate lots of heat. \
They are far from ideal as a platform base, but great for testing if your hardware \
can be described in VHDL or Verilog. The work to go from that to an ASIC is immense \
and will take significant backing, which makes the industry support for RISC-V rather \
interesting. Everyone wants royalty-free hardware in their little devices, I can't \
blame them.