List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: sendsyslog: dropped 4 messages, error 55
From:       Marcus MERIGHI <mcmer-openbsd () tor ! at>
Date:       2017-01-31 8:13:06

pjf@thinkage.ca (Peter Fraser), 2017.01.30 (Mon) 18:17 (CET):
> My /var/log/messages is filling up with messages like the following:
>
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway sendsyslog: dropped 4 messages, error 55
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway sendsyslog: dropped 2 messages, error 55
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway sendsyslog: dropped 2 messages, error 55
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway sendsyslog: dropped 1 message, error 55
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway sendsyslog: dropped 2 messages, error 55
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway last message repeated 2 times
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway sendsyslog: dropped 4 messages, error 55
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway sendsyslog: dropped 2 messages, error 55
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway last message repeated 2 times
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway sendsyslog: dropped 1 message, error 55
> Jan 30 10:28:06 gateway sendsyslog: dropped 1 message, error 55
>
> The messages occur in bursts with several hundred messages per burst,
> and here may be several seconds or hours between the bursts.
>
> I am quite willing to believe that I have done something stupid, but I have no
> idea what.
> Any hints to find out what is generating these messages.

src/lib/libc/gen/syslog_r.c, 188:
        * If the sendsyslog() fails, it means that syslogd
        * is not running or the kernel ran out of buffers.

sendsyslog(2)
RETURN VALUES
     Upon successful completion, the value 0 is returned; otherwise the
     value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to
     indicate the error.

errno(2)
     55 ENOBUFS No buffer space available. An operation on a socket or
        pipe was not performed because the system lacked sufficient
        buffer space or because a queue was full.

But I can't tell you why your kernel is running out of buffers. You did
not give much information...

Marcus