List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Supermicro X11SSL-F freezes probing USB 3
From:       Raul Miller <rauldmiller () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-03-31 9:49:22

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:14 AM, Paul B. Henson <henson@acm.org> wrote:
> Eeew. We've got some HP gear that requires an extra cost license to make
> the remote kvm gui head work past the bootloader which is ridiculous
> (but technically, I don't think remote kvm is part of the base IPMI
> standard), but the IPMI SOL serial port??? That's just crazy. I've never
> used Dell and never will for servers; desktops/notebooks, sure, but
> servers? Nah. Sun gear was pretty good until Oracle killed them off, we
> used IBM for a while until they sold it off to Lenovo and policy
> wouldn't let us buy from a non-US company (like the gear itself doesn't
> come from China anyway). Right now we're using HP at my dayjob and it's
> working out ok. I pretty much use supermicro for personal gear and
> sidejobs, it's generally good stuff. At least my IPMI SOL port works :).

Trade agreements with China are complicated (and the Chinese
government has had *considerable* say in their structure and details -
perhaps more say than our own government).

I could go into some details on some of why things are this way, but
that's getting too far off-topic for this mailing list.

That said, I will say that there's some pretty good reasons (and some
pretty bad reasons) for why things are the way they are - but also,
that I expect things to change, and not all in ways that you might
appreciate.

Anyways, my point is, you might want to take advantage of the current
relatively lax policies while you can. (Or, ok, maybe for your
particular situation, things will actually get better - I don't
actually know the details of how this will play out...)

--
Raul