List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: enumerate sndio devices
From:       Rusty <rustyl () outband ! net>
Date:       2014-10-31 1:50:29

On 10/30/14 06:12, Remco wrote:
> In article <5451B32E.7060904@outband.net> you wrote:
>> I feel as if i am overlooking somthing obvious, but..
>>
>> Is there a way to list sndio endpoints?
>>

> Unless someone has a better idea, I think you need to look at your dmesg.
> Look for lines "audioN at whatever". The audioN device should correspond
> to a (r)snd/N sndio device. AFAICT the rsnd/N devices are always
> accessible if a corresponding audioN device is available. The snd/N
> devices are made available by sndiod.
>
> If you have multiple audio devices I think it's necessary to specify them
> in /etc/rc.conf.local in order to make them available through sndiod.
> e.g. sndiod_flags="-f rsnd/0 -f rsnd/1"
>
>> Specifically I was trying to attach a scope(probably one of the ffplay
>> visualizations) to the main output. however I could not figure out what
>> endpoints exist.
>>

> I don't know if this is what you want, if I connect my USB camera I'm able
> to get a visualisation by tapping my finger on the camera while running:
> ffplay -f sndio snd/1

Big thanks for all the help.

It was just a silly idea that I had after reading sndiod(1)

"I bet I can get the spectrogram in ffplay to show my system sound"

I knew it should be easy, unfortunately I was unable to figure out what
to read to get ffplay to display what I wanted.

So, while the question was stupid and the answers were simple, that was
exactly what I needed to start doing more than just passively using sndio.

Salutes