List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Thanks for ACPI
From:       Giancarlo Razzolini <grazzolini () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-06-25 17:15:53

Em 24-06-2014 22:14, Theo de Raadt escreveu:
> It's a funny world, here's how, let me explain the road map for you:
>
> In 1 year, Windows will work worse on that particular laptop.  In 2 years,
> it will be expired.  In 4 years, it will barely work.  That is a result of
> chasing new sales.
True to the core. Planned obsolescence at its best.

> In 1 year, OpenBSD will work better on that laptop.  In 2 years, it will be
> work even better.  In about 4 years, it will work as well, but the decline
> will start because our developers will move on.  That is an aspect of minimal
> refinement, not chasing the curve.
For i386 and amd64 systems this decline is way longer than 4 years. I do
have OpenBSD systems running on 10 year old i386 machines.

> In 1 year, Linux might work better.  In 2 years, it will not work well.
> But hey, don't take my word for me.  Ask the net.  They'll set me straight,
> and they'll set you straight.  I don't know what they are chasing.  Maybe
> it is the same as the first.  Really, honestly, I don't have a clue what
> they are chasing.

They are chasing the last "tool" that is cool. One such example is
systemd. It did made all of my linux systems slower. In the end a linux
system is a mix of "cool tools" many doing the same thing, many trying
to do all things at once, and all of them barely working as a system.
You might get lucky and your system might get better and better with
linux over the time. But that's rare.

Cheers,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini