List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: SSH as root with specific IP
From:       Nick Holland <nick () holland-consulting ! net>
Date:       2013-09-30 15:32:01

oops.  meant to send to list...
(this time with cheesy ASCII graphics which will probably get mauled by
most mail clients)

On 09/30/2013 02:29 AM, John Tate wrote:
> I want to be able to log in as root by SSH with a specific IP address.
> This is so rsync can log in to the server easily and backup many files
> owned by many different users and groups. Rather than a script on the
> server logging into the server with the backups with many files and
> many different users.
>
> Can it be done?

been there, doing that...

ANOTHER way of doing this, you can modify your root ssh authorized_key
file so it only accepts connections from designated sites for a
particular key:

from="1.2.3.4" ssh-rsa SZJlGKh8nr....cSAG/hBi root@backup
\__new part__/ \____________usual part of key__________/

(there are lots of other nifty options here -- see man sshd)

combine that with no password logins and your goal is accomplished.

Nick.