List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: 5.0 kernel won't compile on 4.9 i386 system
From:       Stuart Henderson <stu () spacehopper ! org>
Date:       2012-01-29 20:40:08

On 2012-01-28, Stefan Midjich <swehack@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also the reason I wanted to compile is something I should have stated,
> there's a kernel config online for pcengines alix boards so I wanted to use
> it on mine thinking it was better optimized for the tiny board with very
> few peripherals.
>
> https://raw.github.com/openbsd/flashboot/master/PCENGINES

That's for flashboot not for OpenBSD (flashboot is an OpenBSD derivative
but I wouldn't exactly call it OpenBSD...)

Only reason I'd consider doing this on OpenBSD is if I was really stuck
with a system running software that uses *slightly* more RAM than I have
available and I needed to stretch things short-term until the hardware
could be replaced with something suitable for the task... For everything
else I think the disadvantages outweigh the benefits.

> I wanted to do a kernel compile from the 5.0 generic system I installed on
> the CF at first, but I ran out of space before the cvs was even done.
>
> So my only option now is to find a machine that can run 5.0 i386, do the
> compile from there. Alternatively be satisified with a binary install and
> generic kernel.

Or mount /usr/src over NFS.