List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: OpenBSD Course online
From:       Onteria <onteria () scarletdevil ! net>
Date:       2010-10-30 5:46:06

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:53:32 +0400
OpenBSD Geek <openbsd@e-solutions.re> wrote:

> Is there someone who can give me OpenBSD Administration course online
> (practice using ssh) ? That will cover BSDP Objectives.
>
> Thanks

While this may not be the direct answer you were looking for, I hope it
will provide a better path towards becoming more familiar with OpenBSD
administration.

First off, being a systems administrator often entails that you will
have to deal with an issue on your own, and there won't be an
instructor there to guide you through the resolution. Sure, you might
be able to post to a mailing list or forum, but there's no guarantee
that you will get the answer in a timely fashion.

With this in mind, I believe it better to look over the very extensive
collection of man pages and faqs provided by the OpenBSD developers.
After an installation, you are asked to check your mail (using the mail
command). In there is a message showing explaining the next steps you
should take, including a reference to the afterboot man page. I believe
this to be one of the most useful man pages I've read. If you need a
bit more of a beginner approach, the help command takes a step back a
bit and gives you some more advice on where to look.

Read man pages. Get to know man pages. They are written by very
knowledgeable people (I hope someone doesn't point out a random
exception here) and are going to contain solid information that such
courses are going to teach you, for free.

Something seem confusing? Take a look over this document first:

The tips there may help you realize the answer yourself. If not, it
will hopefully assist you in formulating a question that more people
will be likely to answer.

Another solution is to Google around a bit. If you are searching on
information for specific software, I recommend first trying "OpenBSD
[name of software]" to make sure you are working with the correct
OpenBSD way of handling things. Otherwise you might get Linux related
information leading to install procedures not relevant to OpenBSD
(/etc/init.d scripts for example.

The next step would be to check the OpenBSD Resources section of the
website ( http://www.openbsd.org/ ). In particular, the FAQs are a good
source of "next step" topics that are a good supplement to the manual
pages. Hopefully if you read enough man pages, the amount of new
information to learn will start to dwindle.

In conclusion, I hope this provides you with a better alternative to
the course format you're looking for. This style of learning will help
turn you into a more flexible systems administrator, which is a very
good quality to have.

- Onteria