List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    DDOS on Apache / PF countermeasures
From:       mowsen <mowsen () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-31 23:59:20

Hej volks!

I'm experiencing some DDOS attacks against my wordpress blog wich runs
on a PIII/600 MHz/256 MB Ram/100 MBit machine lately. The attacker
commands approx. 500 different IPs to my blog that all request the same
post. I tuned apache to only accept 20 concurrent clients but that still
renders my server un-respondable. I turned KeepAlive Off and set the
TimeOut directive to 10 seconds... Still, while testing it myself
(building only 200 connections) my server seems not to be able to handle
the load and won't respond anymore... I'm using pf and tried around with
|max-src-conn 10, max-src-conn-rate 20/30 etc.. to no avail as all the
IPs seem legit and only request one time. I installed a caching plugin,
but still, same thing.

Anyone an idea what else i could do? Or am I just hoplessly lost in this
case because my hardware is so thin?

Thanks alot,
Mow