List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    patch against tail(1) to support -f on multiple files
From:       Landry <landry () fr ! homeunix ! org>
Date:       2006-04-30 20:45:23

Hi folks at misc@ !

I've always missed the feature of GNU tail and FreeBSD tail to follow
multiple files using -f. I was used to monitor the logs on my 3.8 server
using "tail -f /var/log/messages & ; tail -f /var/www/logs/access_log &"
and so on, but wasn't pleased of this workaround. I know, multitail port
does the job, but i didn't want to install it.

So i decided to code a patch, i looked at how FreeBSD handle this issue,
i read style(9) and kqueue(2), and finally the result is here :

http://team.gcu.info/~gaston/openbsd-tail-follow-multiple-files.patch

This patch is against -current userland src/usr.bin/tail. Feel free to
try it and comment it. If someone could review it and verify it, this
would be great. Patched version works like a charm on my server since
two days, and has been tested in most common cases.

Thanks,
Landry

ps: I've submitted this patch too as PR#5092.