List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Interesting ps -ax listing
From:       Dave Feustel <dfeustel () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2005-11-30 11:46:17

While running kde 3.4.2 on OpenBSD 3.8, upon logging out from my normal user
id and then logging back in with a new user id and executing ps -ax, I found
an instance of kde kicker running before I had invoked startkde as the new
user. I was not able to delete the process using kill -9, so I  logged out,
logged back in under the previous user name and then was able to delete the
kicker task using kill -9. My understanding is that all user processes (eg,
kde processes) are terminated when the user logs out. Is that correct?
Any ideas as to how the user process survived the logout?

Thanks,
Dave Feustel