List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: perl script for postfix logs to create spamd tables
From:       Chad M Stewart <cms () Balius ! com>
Date:       2005-10-31 22:55:35

Why would you want to do that?  Put spamd in front of postfix and sit
back and watch the spammers waste their time.  Sure the first few
hours can be trying as legitimate mail trickles through.  Before I
deployed spamd for the first time I lowered the passtime and tested.
Once I was satisfied that things would work as they should I put
spamd in production.  When I started getting my misc@ messages again
I knew things were working. :)

Today I got my first indication that another site is having
problems.  A credit card company told me when I logged into their
website that my email address was no longer valid and to please
update.  The funny thing is that some messages from them do make it
to me.  I look at it this way, the problem is on their end.  spamd
simply enforces the RFCs and after all following the RFCs is a good
thing.  I remember the mid 90s when there were so many totally
ignorant SMTP servers out there.  Perhaps there are still some, but
overall things appear to be much better now.  If the sending site
can't be bothered to run a mail system that honors a simple and basic
component of the RFCs then they don't take email seriously.

With my old bank I had to tell them to fix their sending gateways,
they did and I started getting messages again.  I sent their zone
contact the relevant part of the RFCs.

-Chad