List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: UKC and VGA configuration
From:       Diego Arimany <rock () guate ! net ! gt>
Date:       2005-10-31 21:02:33

Stuart,
Thanks for the tip, however,

>>> I'm guessing that the
>>> Linux you tried uses a bitmapped console driver of some sort
>>> instead of "normal" VGA text mode.
>>>
>> Probably, but then... how can we go about it in OBSD?
>

> Consoles on i386 involve vga(4) and wscons(4), you just have text
> modes to choose from which probably won't help you.

I4ve tried using 'wsconscfg' to set the screen, but the text modes are
not much better (unless there is a stretch option).

On the other hand, I thought about using the wsdisplay device, but when
I go into UKC it does not exists.  I don4t know the correct parrameters
to add it.

wsdisplay* at vga?  {OR}
wsdisplay* at pcdisplay?

However a 'dmesg | grep display' shows:
 > wskbd0 at pckbd0 (mux 1 ignored for console): console keyboard, using
wsdisplay0
 > probing for pcdisplay0
 > probing for pcdisplay0 failed

> You might be satisfied with X and some keyboard-friendly WM of the
> ratpoison/ion ilk.

I am running X, but the screen size doesn4t improve either.
Thanks, Diego