List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Hackathon 2005
From:       Ben Goren <ben () trumpetpower ! com>
Date:       2005-04-30 21:30:28

On 2005 Apr 30, at 9:50 AM, Jan Izary wrote:

> I'd have thought httpd or cc replacements.

Henning has made it pretty clear that there's no reason for a
replacement httpd. The in-tree Apache is effectively a fork and in
pretty good shape. The license is okay. Not enough would be gained from
starting from scratch. This, of course, doesn't preclude major work on
the code or somebody with an opinion different from Henning's going
ahead and write one anyway. Heck, I'd almost expect it to happen
someday. Just not for a long time.

As much as I'm sure Theo would love to get rid of gcc and
friends...damn, that's a big undertaking. I don't think it's the sort
of thing that would happen at a hackathon. If I had to guess, it'd be
made the main point of some future release, with little other
development. You know, the sort of thing that takes up lots of long
winter nights. It's not likely to be fun, and I get the impression that
hackathons are supposed to be fun.

This is pure WAG speculation, but I'd guess that the next Open****D
would be OpenSMTPD. Look through /usr/src/gnu and, aside from the
toolchain and Perl, it's the most glaring inclusion (especially with
the advent of OpenCVS). Consider what hell Sendmail is to configure (m4
notwithstanding) and imagine a mail daemon as easy to set up and
maintain as pf, OpenNTPD, OpenSSH, and the like and it's easy to get
excited just thinking about it. When you consider that all the spamd
stuff would certainly be very well integrated...it makes one wish one
could shut up and hack.

But would this come out of the coming hackathon? Beats the hell out of
me. Considering all the neat things that need work, I'd tend to be
against any one particular thing (unless we hear otherwise from On
High). The only thing I'm sure of is that the results will be at least
as exciting as what we've gotten from them in the past.

Cheers,

b&

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of PGP.sig]