List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Snapshots getting strange? ( was getting to 3.7 )
From:       Tom Cosgrove <tom.cosgrove () arches-consulting ! com>
Date:       2005-04-30 16:48:01

>>> Roy Morris 22-Apr-05 19:53 >>>
>
> so in the end I decide to go with the snapshot. I grab it, create the
> cd and boot. snapshot from
> "ftp://ftp3.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/" and create a
> boot from "cd37.iso"
>
> I get the error 'warning: too little memory available; running in
> degraded mode press any key to confirm' then it just hangs 4ever, well
> as close to 4ever as I was willing to wait anyway.
>
> WTF? I think to myself, as I grab a floppy and try a floppy boot.
> still the same error. This is a thinkpad 600x with 196m ram/12G
> drive. It had 3.6 on it now. Has something major changed in the
> requirements?

There was a bug in the boot code of the i386 snapshots from about
21 April, that has been fixed with boot v2.08 boot, cdboot v1.02, and
pxeboot v1.04 (committed today, 30 April).  This bug caused a very
few machines to report an incorrect amount of memory (far too little).

The bug was also present in the amd64 boot code; I've committed a
fix for this, too, today.  The versions numbers should be the same.

Thanks to Roy for helping diagnose the problem and test the fix.

Thanks

Tom