List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: SMTP TLS, SMTP AUTH, POP TLS -a plea
From:       van Helsing <vh () helith ! net>
Date:       2004-10-22 17:08:15

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:04:06 +0200
Hannah Schroeter <hannah@schlund.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 05:31:52PM +0200, van Helsing wrote:
> >steve.shockley@shockley.net (Steve Shockley) wrote:

> If OpenBSD were to include every piece of software that is of
> some use and liberally licensed (BSD-style or similar), it'd become
> quite bloated, wouldn't it?

Mabye but bzip2 isn'tcmopareable to e.g. a IMAP-Server.
bzip2 is offen used by a lot of opensource-projects.
Take a look at sourceforge and other websites and compare it with the
ports!
The ports use just &programm.tgz even the Project offers also a
&prog.tbz(2).
Bzip2 ist mostly smaler and if you download souces (like the port-system
do) it can save bandwith.

How much OpenBSD-Boxes are out there?
Just think about nmap as example...
How much bandwith could be saved it they would
use bzip2.

> >> IIRC, bzip2 is too slow on VAX and 68k, and is too big to fit on an
> >
> >> install floppy.
>
> >Oh sorry I dosn't thought about the floppies!
> >I thought about baseXY.tgz.
> >So I thought about "OpenBSD", not just the floppies.
> >And I'm sorry but VAX and 68k are still alive but x86,amd64 and
> >others are more spreaded and e.g. I use it to compress backups and
> >other stuff so 1-2 MB more in the baseXY.tgz shouldn't be a problem,
> >or?
>
> ( cd /usr/ports/archives/bzip2 && make install )
> shouldn't be a problem either.

It isn't used by other ports even it's usefull!
So just sit down and calculate the difference between gz and bzip2 if
you calculate all programs of the whole ports-tree.

Or decompress the src of OpenBSD and compress it with bzip2 and notice
the change.
How much mirrors are out there? How much ppl. download it and how much
bandwith could be saved, not just for you personaly.

> (or pkg_add /foo/bar/bzip2-1.0.2.tgz)
>
> >[...]
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Hannah.