List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: adding Soekris 4801 to supported architectures
From:       Chuck Yerkes <chuck+obsd () 2004 ! snew ! com>
Date:       2004-05-30 23:03:48

Quoting Brad (brad@comstyle.com):
> On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 01:44:13AM -0500, J Moore wrote:
> > Any possibility that Soekris might be added to the list of supported
> > architectures anytime in the near future?
Works for me.  But for the digital IO stuff.

> If that made any sense then it might be added but Soekris is not a type
> of architecture. These are just embedded i386 computers and nothing more.

Except the ARE something more.

"Geode" processor with several IO lines brought out and made available.

FreeBSD's approach was the slightly misnamed CPU_SOEKIS which brings
in the drivers and other architecture specific thngs.

Frankly, it makes a bit more sense to treat it as generic 486/586
(depending on which: 45x1/48x1) and modload kernel drivers for the
extra bits.

(These kernels keep getting bigger and bigger -- do I *need* to
carry around drivers for 15 SCSI cards and 30ish ethernets on a
box with SISx3 and no SCSI?  But openbsd seems module averse.
That was a plus to me doing security - I tend to disable modules
on secure kernels which I don't *want* to change.)