List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    ppp questions
From:       "Bob McIlvaine" <suemac () empire ! net>
Date:       2004-03-01 13:32:59

Hi all,

I'm still floggin this ppp issue on my obsd 3.4 box.

I have set up the ppp.conf and ppp gets to the point of
agreeing on an ip address from the isp and showing the
"PPP" status.

So at that point I have the address assigned to this box on
my net, say 192.168.53.100. The isp has defined the ip of
tun0 as 111.222.33.44 and the isp machine is
111.222.33.55.

This is without the "add default HISADDR" shown in all the
docs.

At this point a route shows:

Dest.                      Gateway

192.168.53.0          link#1
192.168.53.100      127.0.0.1
111.222.33.44        111.222.33.55

How does traffic from 192 get to 111? Ping, telnet etc. at the
command line are going to be using 192, right? So what, at
this point directs them to 111 via tun0?

I've not found anything referring to link#x? Where'd that
come from? Is that the "link" between 192 and 111?

The "enable dns" seems to have no effect. Is resolv.conf
supposed to be created automatically? Or does this need to
exist, containing the isp dns's?

Also, the second time ppp runs after boot and trys to do the
add route it generates "add route failed" messages.

Is anybody using ppp from 3.4 successfully? Set up as
defined in the docs/man pages?

There is a mention of a "add default HISADDR" bug back at
obsd 3.0, a fix, and a workaround involving sed scripts in
ppp.linkup. Anybody have any info on that?

Thanks,
Mac