List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Creating update tarballs
From:       "Rod Dorman" <rodd () polylogics ! com>
Date:       2002-08-22 0:19:09

Gerardo Santana Gomez Garrido wrote:
> I'm assuming you are updating to -stable.

Yes.

> Why do you compile the whole system?

Because that's what following the directions in release(8) does, it
builds a complete OpenBSD installation.

> Compile just the programs affected and pack only those that change. Then
> apply them to the rest of your servers.
>
> That's what binary patches do.

CVS updates does give me a list of what files are changed, e.g.
P lib/libc/net/gethostnamadr.c
P lib/libc/net/getnetnamadr.c
P lib/libssl/src/crypto/cryptlib.h
but I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine the set of programs
affected so I find it safer to follow the MiniFAQ and rebuild it all.

--
rodd@polylogics.com
           "Hangers on though you be friends be more humble