List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    unable to boot any self-compiled kernel on ultra10
From:       Mike <mike () grill ! rackmount ! org>
Date:       2002-06-29 22:49:31

    I just installed OpenBSD 3.1 for sparc64 from CD on an Ultra10
without any issues.  I then went to recompile the kernel and I could not
get the machine to boot from the new kernel.  I watered it down to
rebuilding with the GENERIC config file with the same failure.  Any
redirection to the doc I must have missed would be much appreciated.

I checked out the "OPENBSD_3_1" source.
From /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc64/conf I ran a config GENERIC
Then from /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/GENERIC, make depend && make
From the same working directory, mv /bsd /bsd.GENERIC ; cp bsd /bsd

Upon reboot I get:

Rebooting with command: boot
Boot device: disk:a  File and args:
OpenBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
..>> OpenBSD 3.1-beta (obj) #1: Wed Apr 10 18:32:09 PDT 2002
    deraadt@sparc64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc64/stand/ofwboot/obj
devopen: getdisklabel sez no disk label
unknown executable format
Program terminated
ok

I can then boot to my backup bsd.GENERIC which came from the install
without issue.

It seems to think it's valid?

chaos# file bsd
bsd: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, Sparc64, version 1

strings on the two kernels reveal the only difference as version
information:

< GENERIC#0
<     @(#)OpenBSD 3.1-stable (GENERIC) #0: Sat Jun 29 14:21:55 MST 2002
<     root@chaos:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/GENERIC
---
> GENERIC#51
>     @(#)OpenBSD 3.1 (GENERIC) #51: Sat Apr 13 14:17:56 PDT 2002
>     deraadt@sparc64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/GENERIC

The box has OpenBoot 3.25 installed.

I couldn't find any reference to this problem, but again, pointers in the
right direction would be great.  Thanks!