List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    OT: newbies@openbsd.org mailing list?
From:       "Joe Sprankle" <joes () primarycolor ! com>
Date:       2002-04-30 15:04:03

>I want to ask; Why make man pages if ppl aren't going to read them?
>why archive the mailing lists if ppl won't search it?  why document and.
>create an FAQ if ppl aren't going to read it?  why do we have so many
>strikes against the ideas of an RTFM?  It should bring some amount of
>pride to the openbsd community to realize that the self help resources
>that are out there DO work; ARE thorough; CONTAIN the answers... what
>an insult to those that maintain these resources when ppl come around
>complaining that they don't want to use them and would rather have
>other ppl give them the answers directly.

I know this is extremly OT, but I am A "newbie" to OBSD. I've been reading
this list for awhile but haven't had time or a free comp. to run OBSD
until last night. I had problems, after a fresh install the machine
wouldn't boot. I went to the archive and found many treads with my answer.
I guess what I'm trying to say is: why do people waste their time posting
when the answers are already there? I've RTFM through Linux and Solaris
and I must say waiting for someone to hold your hand and walk you through
things only wastes your own time, especially when you have a great
archive/FAQ at your disposal instantly.
Thanx for the archive/FAQ guys, some of us get it.
My 2 cents of OT.
joe