List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Guide Newcomers Better
From:       Steve Brown <openbsd () prayforwind ! com>
Date:       2002-01-06 18:34:17

This is a default installation of 3.0 Generic, I definitely am su'ing to
root, I am seeing the #, and I am getting "permission denied" errors. Am
I being told that this is abnormal? man securelevel tells me "page not
found", so do most other man <somecommand> that I'd otherwise expect to see.

I'm seeing other strangeness too, such as dmesg spewing non-ascii,
windows-like freezing, slow to the point where machine freezes if I type
too quickly. I'd give up on OBSD as a bad job (on my particular
machine), except for one thing: Booting from the CD makes all of these
problems disappear (CD boot recognises -all- my hardware and boots fast
& clean, generic times out all over the place and takes 3 minutes to boot.)

Is there some way of booting for real using the cdrom30.fs instead of
bsd, and is the code availiable for it?

Thanks, Steve