List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Guide Newcomers Better
From:       "Generic Player" <suck () my-balls ! com>
Date:       2002-01-05 15:43:18

> But it seems to me that there's some areas where OBSD behaves very
> differently from standard *NIX, with no corresponding explanation in
the man
> pages or openbsd.org site, at least none that I can find.

I would say they aren't documented since they aren't real.  You don't
even need to be root to run pkg_info, unless you messed with the
permissions on it, or maybe the permissions on /var/db/pkg/

> An example: the fact that when root types "pkg_info" or "mount -t
msdos
> /dev/wd0i /mnt"he gets "permission denied" error. In any other *NIX
I've
> used, root has permission to do *anything*. OBSD is billed as a secure
OS,
> so I'm guessing that it differs from the other *NIX's here as part of
> security issue. But I see nothing anywhere about this, or how to gain
"root
> access" so that one can configure their system. Not to look a gift
horse in
> the mouth, but it would be helpful if such differences as this were
> documented somewhere easy to find.

You type "su" to get root, just like every other unix on the planet.
Its not different, that's why it doesn't tell you anywhere that it is
different.  Root is allowed to do anything, you perhaps b0rked your
system?

Adam