List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: guide newcomers better
From:       <trader () lotr ! nu>
Date:       2002-01-03 20:48:01

Hello,
            There are always going to be people who answer you in "rude"
manner, however there is a simple answer... just ignore them. Most of the
times if the question you asked is valid (and posted in the right place ;) )
someone will try to help you. OpenBSD (Unix in general) can have a steep
learning curve if you started out on say Windows or DOS, however this is for
a reason, Unix is simply so much more powerful / versitile and once you get
a hang of it it will save you lots of time. The main point is that you have
to be prepared to read alot, and ask alot.

I think that OpenBSD has certain issues with documentation compared to other
unix flavours, that's why I have decided to contribute and write some tutes
that deal with fairly advanced stuff (well for beginenrs anyhow) but are
written so that newbies can follow them. Writing tutes is btw a great way to
learn! A good source for help except these mailing lists is IRC, and sites
for other unix flavours (the freebsd site has good documentation of which
most can be applied to OpenBSD). FreeBSD also has a larger user community
that produce alot of tutes that almost all can be used when your stuck in
OpenBSD. Then there are the daemonnews.org like sites that tend to have good
tutorials and articals. Also when searching for information on sya google
always look a bit wider, instead of searching for just "my problem" AND
"OpenBSD" search for "my problem" AND "BSD" which will more likely get you
what you want. Most information is out there the problem is finding it! If
your into the reverse engineering scene there is a site called Fravias
fortress which has excellent articals on searching procedures, can't
rememeber the URL though... just search for "Fravia" AND "fortress" AND
"reverse enginnering" or the like.

Well enough of my ramblings. Hope some of this may be of help to you.
Greets.

cHeCksUm