List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    re: guide newcomers better
From:       "Eric Timme" <timothy () voidnet ! com>
Date:       2002-01-03 19:03:42

I agree that OpenBSD is a bit overwhelming at first, and I would also
say that it has an extremely high learning curve as compared to
comperable OSes...I would never suggest it to a new user unless he had a
headache fetish.  I started off running Linux before I moved to BSDs,
and used FreeBSD before thinking about moving to OpenBSD.  Depending on
your needs I would say that FreeBSD is a much better choice for a
workstation operating system, and it helps to ease you into the
migration to OpenBSD.  FreeBSD has the most comprehensive and useful
handbook I've seen, with many sections applicable to new users and
people setting up things for the first time.

OpenBSD has a wealth of well documented things, however, you have to dig
around for them, which newer users aren't used to doing, and which might
not be readily apparent to them.  I appreciate the manpages, but I don't
know if the migration would have gone as smoothly as it did had I not
been comfortable with the BSD operating system first.

Just my two cents..