List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: UVM, UBC, and PF criticisms in comp.unix.solaris
From:       Darren Reed <avalon () cairo ! anu ! edu ! au>
Date:       2002-01-02 4:51:49

In some mail from Generic Player, sie said:

> Yeah, mostly ipnat being useless.  Like the whole "I can't traceroute"
> thing

A bug which has been fixed and unfixed many times.  This is largely my own
fault for not having proper regression testing available to ensure it is
always working.

> and the "only one person can ping an IP at a time" thing

See other email.

> or the fact that you couldn't redirect anything besides tcp and udp.

You have been able to for some time.  I don't know since when, though.

Of course, you weren't tied to the version which came with OpenBSD,
either.

How much easier it would have been for me, if when I started coding
IPFilter I had someone else's product to just copy features and code
from.  This leaves me to add features as people request them (if they
fit the model) or as I think of them.  Be that as it may, everyone's
still copying me, so despite everyone's flames about how terrible and
buggy IPfilter is, I must be doing something right :-)