List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Significant words in Theo's interview
From:       Marina Brown <marina () surferz ! net>
Date:       2001-11-29 6:19:08

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Lars Hansson wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 07:51, Gordon Grieder wrote:
> > Conversely, why then is Windows such a big seller?

Because it is designed for people who are visually oriented.

I find it EXTREMLY difficult to work with windows because i
am WORD oriented.

I find windows EXTREMLY user UNFRIENDLY. Why would
anyone want to LOOK for GRAPHICAL settings when you can
simply edit a textfile ?

...But i guess a lot of people would rather search through multiple
levels of menus for some icon !

I hate having multiple levels of abstraction insulating me from the
working of ANYTHING i use. I get the source code with OpenBSD.

When i look in /usr/include/sys in my linux box i am frustrated by the
many many #includes in the system headers.

I am not frustrated in this way when i look in /usr/include/sys in a
BSD box. Things are easy for me to find.

I might not feel this way if i was an Assembler programmer, but i'm a
C and shell programmer.

                               Marina Brown

P.S. I even miss the old time text based BBS's that used to be
everywhere !

"Demanding domestic security in times of war invites
carelessness in preserving civil liberties and the
right of privacy. Frequently the people are only too
anxious for their freedoms to be sacrificed on the
altar of authoritarianism thought to be necessary to
remain safe and secure."

      -- Texas libertarian Republican, Ron Paul