List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Amiga question
From:       Marc Espie <espie () schutzenberger ! liafa ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2001-11-23 16:18:36

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 09:59:24AM -0600, Marco Peereboom wrote:
> I am planning on buying an Amiga 3000 or 4000 on ebay for experimental
> purposes but I have a few regarding oBSD support.

> I read through the official supported devices and I only saw Amiga
> 4000's. Did anyone out there ever try to run oBSD on a 3000 (with a
> 68030 + MMU)?

It runs. it's very slow, obviously. Such a machine will need a week to
rebuild the world.

> The other question that I have is what is the "supported ISA" bridge? I
> need to also find a NIC for the box and the only ones I imagine I can
> acquire are the ones mentioned under the ISA section (I am unsure if the
> A3000 or A4000 has a built in ISA bridge). If anyone out there knows
> where to get one of these zorro(II or III) ones please let me know as
> well.

No built-in. AriadneII is reported to work. I must admit my amigas don't
have nic. I'm using a serial cable for the transfer.

X11 is somewhat of a problem as well... the native chipset on an amiga3000
is abysmal (16 colors, low resolution). And there are few cards available,
in various states of support... for instance, I have a RetinaZII on my
2000, which   works in 8 bit pseudo-color, but not 24 bits (since the color
order is non-standard and no-one found the time to port it to XFree4)

I don't know if it's a good idea to *buy an amiga* and run OpenBSD on it
right now. Well, there's one good motivation: there are few people who
actually have time to work on the amiga, so if you want to dive into the
kernel and help build drivers and whatnot, you'll certainly be welcome.