List:       openbsd-mac68k
Subject:    Re: Can't boot an upgraded Quadra 605 (Modified by Michael (add a "1" before the "@"))
From:       Michael <openbsd1.at.magicpubs.com () cvs ! openbsd ! org>
Date:       2005-05-21 6:34:00

I can boot the bsd.rd 3.7 stable kernel (on a Quadra 605), but the
keyboard goes out to lunch.  It doesn't inquire about terminal type.
It does ask me if i want to Install, Update or Shell, however it won't
accept any keyboard input!

If i boot the "bsd" 3.7 kernel from the BSD root volume into my 3.4
environment, keyboard works fine.

Any idea how to get the keyboard working under bsd.rd?  If not, can i
just un-tar the archives to do an update manually?  Does the install
script do anything else i should be aware of?  (I'm upgrading from
3.4).  TIA.  (Please reply via the mac68k list, else insert a "1"
before the "@" in eMail address; thanks).

The answer to Andersen Silva's original question follows...

On Feb 8, 2005, at 16:13, Andersen Silva wrote:

> Quadra... with a full 68040 chip and 132 MB of RAM.  I was able to
> partition and format the drive; Mac OS 8.1 boots fine, and OpenBSD
> 3.6-stable installed without a hitch.  BSD finds the kernel on the
> partition, and will START to boot, and gets as far as
>
> [ using 407118 bytes of bsd a.out symbol table ]
>
> before apparently freezing up....  I've tried different
> color/resolution settings.  Any idea what I'm overlooking?  - Andy
> Silva

Yes:  If you check "Video Address Hack for LC475" (under Machine
Options in the Options Menu) it should boot (the Quadra 605 and LC 475
are the same logic board, but different Gestalt ID and case).

Note:  I'm not sure which version of the booter first offered that
option, and it may have moved around some since then.  I'm using
version 2.0.0a10 of the booter, which is much improved from version
1.x.  OpenBSD should ship with 2.0, IMO.

     The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck
     is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.