List:       openbsd-advocacy
Subject:    OpenBSD Hoodies - all cotton vs 50:50 cotton/polyester
From:       Austin Hook <austin () computershop ! ca>
Date:       2011-05-17 5:41:55

Here's some hoodie talk -- posted to advocacy, because we promise to keep
conversations in other lists more serious and technical, and not spam,
whereas anything goes in advocacy -- well don't push it....   :-)

We have a limited number of all cotton Hoodies, made in Canada, which are
a bit heavier than the 50:50 cotton/polyester versions that we have been
selling.  I am not sure heavier means warmer, it's just the all cotton
effect.  Some people prefer all cotton, although myself, I prefer the more
furry but lighter feeling of the 50:50 mix.

The all cotton versions were an experiment, and I know some people prefer
all cotton regardless.  They do cost us about $10 more to make up, so we
would pass that on. Incidentally, I find the all cotton versions are
slightly bigger or baggier than 50:50 version, so whereas I usually would
take a XXL, when I tried on the XXL all cotton version, I really had to go
back to an XL.  Either the XL or XXL version in the 50:50 version suit me,
as I am just on the borderline.

If you haven't ordered one of the 4.9 hoodies yet, and you are a cotton
aficionado, drop us a note in the comment line, and allow us to add
another $10, and we will substitute the all cotton version.

BTW, as another experiment, we made some rocket fish hoodie prints on a
few ordinary black T-shirts.  One of each size.  $25 to those who live in
such hot climates that the hoodies aren't useful.  If we get enough
requests, we may make a larger quantity in the future.  A "no sweat" way
to support OpenBSD.  Oh, and the medium size is gone already, 'cause
someone was clever enough to ask despite no announcement.  Email me
personally because there will certainly be more demand than this tiny
supply at this stage.  First request, first in line.  Specify size.  If we
are out already, I will save requests to be notified later if we decide to
make more.

I think the rocket-fish OpenBSD symbol is really smart looking (thanks
Ty!), and I found the hoodies are delightfully snug, especially for any
Canadian spring or summer evening, or just a cloudy day, up this far
North.  I can't keep one for myself yet because they are selling too fast,
but at reprint time one will certainly have my name on it.  It was a tease
just trying them for size.

Note that the hoodies are also available, silk screened in England, at
"OpenBSD Europe"   (see: www.openbsd.org/orders.html).

One problem with an item like the hoodie is that it is just at the weight
class where the individual shipping costs are really expensive for far
away destinations.  An XXXL we sent to Australia, by our default airmail,
cost almost a much for shipping as the $45 hoodie itself.  Consider being
very patient, maybe 60 days and put in the comments to ship by surface, if
you are very far away.  In a couple of cases we shipped surface anyway,
because of the excessive cost of air shipping.  But that's a tough call to
make, because everyone has different budgets, and we previously always
shipped all international orders by Air.  So far we haven't been clever
enough to build a universal shipping cost estimator into our main order
page.

If you are in Europe, I definitely recommend buying from the UK reseller
who now is in full gear with making hoodies more locally.  It may also
save some customs hassles, in addition to reducing shipping costs.

Please include the following pass phrase the first time you email me
personally, to get added automatically to my white list, and get to me
quicker:  "blue wooden shoe".  (Not in the subject line, but rather the
body of the email -- just so as not to waste subject line space.)

Austin Hook

OpenBSD Central Distribution
Alberta, Canada