Bastien Dejean wrote: Every Java powered applets I browse to crashes X. I tested it in another WM (herbstluftwm), and it doesn't happen. Then it's crashing the WM, not X. The X server is exiting because the WM exited. You didn't say what you're using for session management. I would look for log files to see if openbox said anything before exiting. I would also run it in gdb to see if I can get a traceback but that's not easy if you don't already know how. But maybe you do if you're building from source.