List:       openbox
Subject:    [openbox] Workspace Title
From:       andreas.fink85 () googlemail ! com (Andreas Fink)
Date:       2012-02-11 20:29:41

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:52:22 +0000
Paul <openboxml023478 at rainslide.net> wrote:

> On Saturday, 11 February, 2012 at 05:16:33 GMT, Andrew Gallant wrote:
> > I wrote something up for you [1].
>
> Wow. Thanks. I have only Python 2.6 here, so I changed the shebang line accordingly \
> and of course, like every other Python program bar one (Terminator) I've downloaded \
> over the years, it gave an error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "./workspace_change", line 3, in <module>
> import argparse
> ImportError: No module named argparse
>
> I am a programmer but not of Python. I've given up on even trying anything written \
> in Python, because 99% of them give a similar error. Having said that, I gave yours \
> a whirl because of the effort you went to. Thanks again.

Hi,

as a programmer it will probably be not very hard for you to write a program \
yourself. It actually is very easy to set the desktop names. The only thing you need \
to do is to update the variable _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES on the root window. Can be done \
for static names in approx 8 lines of code. See http://pastebin.com/W5VF4icw for a \
C++ example. Compile it with "g++ $(pkg-config --cflags --libs x11) -o \
static_desktop_names filename.cpp" If you do not change the source code, it will set \
your first and second desktop names to "as" and "df".

If you can code in c++ it shouldn't be very hard to take all input arguments and \
concatenate them in a \0 separated string. It will be a bit more complicated if you \
want to change just one desktop names, Then you first need to get the property from \
the root window, seperate it into the single names, exchange the one name you're \
interested in and concatenate it altogether again...

If you wonder what this _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES is, then you can read in the EWMH standard \
about it.

Cheers and have fun coding
Andreas