List:       openbox
Subject:    [openbox] Openbox On A Mac
From:       openboxml023478 () rainslide ! net (Paul)
Date:       2011-07-07 14:06:18

I got it working in Mac OS X:

Install Xcode (http://developer.apple.com/xcode/).
Xcode 4 is not free, but I hear Xcode 3 is.

Install Macports (http://www.macports.org/install.php).

Install Openbox (https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/x11/openbox/Portfile) \
- "sudo port install openbox". It will download and install a lot of dependencies.

Put "exec openbox-session" into ~/.xinitrc, chmod 700 it.

Run X11 (Go -> Applications -> Utilities -> X11).
That will start Openbox in an X11 session just as if it was another regular Mac \
program. Any X11 windows will be managed by Openbox, but any Mac OS X windows will be \
managed by the Quartz, the Mac OS X window manager. You can full screen Openbox by \
selecting it in the X11 preferences. That'll give you the Openbox background and \
you'll be able to left, right, and middle click to get the Openbox menus.

You can move and resize windows just like you can in Linux. The Option and Apple keys \
might even allow you more key combinations, but I wasn't able to try them, because I \
did all this in a Virtualbox VM, using a regular PC keyboard.

The only disadvantage I've found is that Mac OS X apps like Safari will be managed by \
Quartz, not Openbox, so when you run one when you're in Openbox, the X11 session will \
be minimised and you'll be taken back to Quartz.

--

.