List:       openbox
Subject:    [openbox] OB not rendering all items in a menu when moused over fast
From:       mfitzgib () simla ! colostate ! edu (mfitzgib)
Date:       2006-02-18 18:55:52

I agree with Troy... especially if there's a pipe menu written in an
interpreted language, you've got to get the interpreter into memory before
anything can execute, and that takes time, especially if you're doing a big
compile or encoding job. To me, it gets so annoying that I have all my pipe
menus as the last items so that I don't have to roll over them all the time.
If OB skips a couple of these entries here and there, it makes me work faster
and happier.

> ===== Original Message From Troy Curtis Jr <troycurtisjr at gmail.com> =====
> I was just playing with it and it actually took me a minute to even figure
> out what you were talking about.  It seemed to behave perfectly for me.
> Then I realized if I really looked for it, it did not render each submenu as
> I passed over it.
>
> Now, to me this make sense...why waste time rendering something the user
> doesn't want.  Because at least on my system it has be really fast to even
> notice the effect.  Or maybe I just don't have big enough menus to have the
> effect be annoying.
>
> It seems to me like you actually want to put some delay on it, albiet very
> small, especially when you get into pipe menus because on a slow system
> (mine is only 1Ghz with 256 MB ram) those extra instructions might cause it
> drag.
>
> Just my opinion. Of course I'm the same guy who thinks you ought to be able
> to click and drag maximized windows around...so what do I know?
>
> Troy
>
> On 2/17/06, David Barr <david at chalkskeletons.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 19:25 -0800, Adam Gent wrote:
> > > Take one moment and open up a gtk menu, qt menu, fluxbox menu, blackbox
> > > menu or even a windows 2000/xp menu. Now move your mouse quickley up
> > > and down the menu. What you will see is that all items in the menu get
> > > highlighted/raised when the mouse is over it even when you move the
> > > mouse very fast.
> > >
> > this is true!
> >
> > > Now my friends do this with openbox 3 and you will notice that once you
> > > move the mouse fast enough the menu gets stuck on an item and does not
> > > highlight items under the mouse until you slow down. I swear I don't
> > > know why no one has complained about this before...
> >
> > i think why, is that it is a fruitless task to move your mouse so fast,
> > i, for one have never really tried it, but i see now what you mean.
> >
> > > I feel like I am
> > > taking crazy pills (Zoolander). Its as though the openbox is
> > > dropping/ignoring the mouse Xevents because the rendering engine can't
> > > keep up.
> >
> > fair point, you are probably not crazy, congratulations.
> >
> > > This menu behavior makes it feel like the openbox 3 is slow when we all
> > > know its not.
> > >
> > the menus in openbox are a bit hacky, it is not a secret :)
> >
> > i doubt i have the ability to fix them, but if anyone is looking for a
> > mini project, mikael is a busy bunny...
> >

> > > -Adam
> > >

> > cheers
> >
> > David

> > > http://mail.yahoo.com
> > >

> --
> "Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser." - USA Today
> Download now at http://getfirefox.com
> Registered Linux User #354814 ( http://counter.li.org/)

Slainte,
Matthew

Please no images, attachments > 1MB, or annoying forwards.
If you HAVE to send me those things, tell me first, and I'll tell you exactly where \
to send them (not here). Thanks.

My website:
http://www.sildan.tk/