List:       openbios
Subject:    [OpenBIOS] Move to github workflow?
From:       Mark Cave-Ayland <mark.cave-ayland () ilande ! co ! uk>
Date:       2021-08-19 9:02:24

Hi all,

Since the coreboot team moved the OpenBIOS project onto Github, there have been a
number of steadily increasing pull requests and issues raised there and so I'm
wondering if now is the time to start thinking about moving to a more Github-based
workflow.

The nice thing about Github is that we can start to put together some CI to allow
build testing of PRs and open potential review to people outside of the OpenBIOS
mailing list. However there are a number of very knowledgeable people on this mailing
list who have helped with the project over the years and I am really keen to maintain
the benefit of their expertise.

On this basis I would like to propose the following changes:

   1) Move to a merge request workflow and start accepting PRs from Github

      and Issues so people on the mailing can take part in the discussions.
      Note: this is currently VERY low volume.

   3) Implement a basic Github workflow using the QEMU project cross-compiler
      docker images to enable build testing and artifact generation without
      requiring a cross-compiler to be built manually. (I've already tried a few
      experiments and made some progress here).

Any further thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

ATB,

Mark.