List:       openbeos
Subject:    rs Sch.,
From:       Ettel <halfbacks () amywestberg ! com>
Date:       2009-08-24 7:35:54

Nd school teachers. Here is the mightiest, the widest, the most
fruitful, the most abundant, the most prolific, missionary field that
was ever opened to any Christian people. It is right here at your doors.
It is not across the Pacific Ocean and it is not down yonder around the
Cape of Good Hope. Right here at our doors is the greediest people for
education and the gospel there is on the face of this earth, not counted
among our white race. I suppose that ninety-nine one-hundredths of those
who generously give to this cause believe to-day that it is being given
to in generous proportion. Ah! you never figured on it. Why, if you knew
the national value of this work, to say nothing of its gospel value, you
would quadruplicate it before the year is out. You would not submit to
it for a moment, as citizens, not merely as members of Christ's Church.
* * * * * The American Missionary Association is called again to mourn
the decease of one of its officers. Hon. Alfred S. Barnes, a member of
its Executive Committee, after an illness extending over five months, at
his residence in Brooklyn, finished his earthly life on Friday, February
17th, at the age of seventy-one years. Mr. Barnes was elected on the
Executive Board of the A.M.A. nineteen years ago, and had served in that
capacity continuously up to the day of his death. He was a wise
counsellor, large-minded in his views and honorable in his spirit, known
throughout the land as one of the foremost publishers in the country,
largely interested in educational work, and yet he found time for an
earnest devotion to various enterprises in the Christian church. His
fidelity and helpfulness in the service of the A.M.A. are fully known
only to

["campos.jpg" (image/jpeg)]