List:       openbeos
Subject:    [haiku] Re: Introducing Myself
From:       "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-11-28 19:47:37

Hi Samir,

first of all, welcome a bord and thanks a lot for offering your help!

> Hello, my name is as you can see Samir Gartner, I'm a Software and
> Telecommunications Engineering Student from Colombia (South America) I'm 6
> months away from graduation. I have been interested in BeOS/Haiku since
> 2002
> when I first beging my studies and also since BeOS die. I have been
> following Haiku news since it was named OpenBeos wishing for a release
> (innocence is beautiful) and in the last 6 months I have been excited
> about
> the near alpha release. Right now I am kinda interested in getting
> involved
> in the haiku development as personal challenge but I dont have experience
> in
> OS development or advanced development topics. I have what you can call a
> student programming experience. I would love if you guys can point me to
> the
> right documents to start documenting myself about topics that I would use
> IF
> I decided to get involved in the Haiku development.
> Thanks.

Your absolute best chance of getting involved is finding something that annoys you \
when you use Haiku. Something which you think could be easy to fix and that annoys \
you during daily use. If you don't find something, try to use the bug-tracker for \
inspiration, there are tickets marked with "(easy)" in the ticket title. Just use the \
search function at <http://dev.haiku-os.org>!

Since you may accidentally pick something that is actually hard to fix, it would be \
even better to find several things that annoy you and then ask here on this list, \
which one of these should be easy to fix and if anyone can point you in the right \
direction and at the documentation you could read about that particular subject.

Haiku is such a large playground, no one could tell you anything meaningful \
otherwise. It needs to be something that you are personally motivated in. And if we \
cannot pick something for you, we also can't tell you what documentation you should \
read. :-) So the other way around that I outlined above, will be much more \
successful, provided you actually follow this path. :-) It's much easier to help you \
if you get stuck at a specific problem, or want to know about something specific.

Best regards,
-Stephan