List:       openbeos
Subject:    [haiku] Re: Adventures in Real Hardware
From:       "Alan Burkes" <firstakir () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-17 17:24:56

Let me fix something I said earlier. I said that it was having write
errors. Well, apperantly, it was also having read errors, as well
(which is perfectly understandable for a kernel panic).

>Alan -- I'm no kernel dev, but the problems you're describing seem
>very consistent with what I've seen and heard about when running R5
>on modern machines using the on-board hard disk controllers.
>Most of the CPU time disappears into a polling loop, the mouse hardly
>moves, and hard disk access is troublesome. The only workaround I've
>found is to install a hard disk controller card.

This is impossable. If you looked up SS21T, you would have found that
it only has one PCIe slot (which is being used by my graphics card;
the built in one is very buggy) and one legacy PCI slot (which is
occupied by my WiFi card). The good news, though, is that I just
realized that I have an empty partition on my SATA drive. So, I can
just boot from the USB key, tell it to boot from the HD partition, and
see if it works. The only problem is copying it there; Windows has a
serious deficiency for doing low-level I/O.
(about that spare partition: I was trying to install Linux from
scratch on it, but then I realized that there's no support for most of
my hardware, because SiS is EVIL. The read/write timeouts are most
likely from the EVIL buggy SiS USB hardware.)

>> As for the
>> error itself, it does explain why Haiku didn't write any logs.
>
>No, it didn't write any logs because it didn't yet mount the boot volume. When
>that isn't mounted it's not possible to write anything to it.

I checked for logs after I got it almost-booted. The boot volume had
been mounted, but it simply couldn't write.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try a couple more boot options
before I totally screw up my HDD.