List:       openbeos
Subject:    [haiku] Re: [haiku-development] Re: OS-Tan for Haiku?
From:       kallisti5 <kallisti5 () unixzen ! com>
Date:       2008-11-16 0:05:38

>>But you can't make a leaf-shaped plush toy, and you can't cuddle it!
Being too serious (leaves, verse?) will not help a small free open source
project, because it >>doesn't give people something to grow fond of. Nobody
will put a leaf sticker on the back of his car, nobody will print a serious
haiku poem on a T-shirt. An half-naked
>>underage girl is not a good choice, but we can set up a contest to choose
a mascot!
>>Regards, Gabriele

>On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 00:04:55 +0100, Arnold <arnoldvanh@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/15 Zenja Solaja <solaja@gmail.com>:
>> Andrea, Marcus is one of the long time Haiku developers (think SATA and
>> media kit and a lot more, and he's been part of Haiku from day #0).  I
>> think
>> he deserves a lot more respect than what you've just given him.
>>
>> Can this topic please be moved to haiku@freelists instead of
>> haiku-development?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Andrea Bernardi
>> <bernardi.andrea@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Haiku is not supposed to have an official mascot. The contest stays
>>> closed!
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Marcus
>>>

>>> Didn't know you were Haiku.
>>>

>>> Why are you replying once in a lifetime and with such an attitude?
>>>
>>> Andrea
>>>

> YES lets continue this over here. Not on development! Though the same
> people are there using the same email adresses and so on LOL)
> And I feel some big grin in Andrea's comment with a missing smiley ;)
>
> so NO mascotte, it is for losing OS'es (remember a goalie having one
> provides an aming target!)
>
> Have a good weekend everybody!!

I agree with Arnold that Marcus does not deserve that response, not all of
us have our noses in the code and bug tracker on a daily basis to try and
better Haiku. Free open source software is never free because people donate
their valuable time to it (is your time free?).

At the same time I agree with the post above that a leaf will not inspire
people to support a project as much as a mascot of some kind. The more
people that admire the ideal of a project, the more it will blossom and
become a stable recognized OS.  A mascot may not change the greatness of an
application or it's code, but it will attract the common person to learn
more about a subject and may inspire them to become an expert.

Yes the leaf is symbolic of the simple power of BeOS/Haiku, and no, a
half-naked girl may not be what Haiku deserves (the OS-tan discussion was a
light hearted comment, and I did not expect all the emotion over it)

Anyway, if I knew the discussion would of exploded like it did I would of
put it in Haiku instead of Haiku-Development.  Lets make sure any
continuation of it goes here ;)

--Alex