List:       openais
Subject:    Re: [Openais] porting an application to openAIS
From:       Steven Dake <sdake () mvista ! com>
Date:       2005-03-22 6:10:31

Ramesh
the openais project improves availability of a system by reducing mean
time to repair.  The MTTR is reduced by duplicating software and
hardware components in redundant fashion.

Specifically openais provides the Availability Management Framework to
manage redundant software components across redundant hardware
components using application failover.  To provide stateful application
failover, checkpoint is available.

Once a system is distributed there is a need for publish/subscribe
events, messaging, and also mutual exclusion.

These services are what openais provides (along with extended virtual
synchrony).

The act of porting an application to use these sorts of services is
application specific.  I can offer some basic advice on porting an
application.

First, read the AIS specification.  Second, make a determination if the
system can be broken into components.  Once the system is broken into
components, the state data can be determined.  Once these two things are
understood, the act of porting or designing the redundant systems using
checkpointing and AMF should be easier.  Keep in mind that the designer
will most likely have to use some form of communication service such as
eventing or messaging once the application has been distributed.

Regards
-steve