List:       omniorb-list
Subject:    RE: [omniORB] Marshall exception -- message size limit exceeded
From:       "Luke Deller" <ldeller () xplantechnology ! com>
Date:       2007-01-30 2:00:17

Henrique wrote:

> On the client, side a COMM_FAILURE exception will happen. However, the
> minor code does not indicate MARSHAL_MessageSizeExceedLimit (it
indicates
> COMM_FAILURE_WaitingForReply instead). So the client does not know why
the
> failure occurred either -- that is that the response is larger than
what
> can be handled.

I see the following comment in src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/giopImpl12.cc, in
the function giopImpl12::sendSystemException

    // This system exception is raised during the marshalling of the
reply.
    // We cannot marshal the exception. Can only indicate that something
    // fatal about this request.

I suppose it makes sense that the server can't change its mind half way
through sending a response.   It should be possible to calculate the
size of a response *before* starting to send it, but that might be
expensive.

Here's a question of my own:
Why does omniORB limit the size of outgoing messages anyway?  I can
understand limiting the size of incoming messages, but for outgoing
messages the application code is in a position to decide for itself
whether to send a certain client call or server reply, right?

Luke.
 Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is confidential and \
may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient you must \
not use, distribute or copy this email.  If you have received this email in error \
please notify the sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in \
this email are not necessarily the views of XPlan Technology.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the information \
provided before loading onto any computer system. Xplan Technology does not warrant \
                that the information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.