List:       olpc-sugar
Subject:    Re: [Sugar-devel] Concept Mapping Activity and Labyrith
From:       Nagarjuna G <nagarjun () gnowledge ! org>
Date:       2011-02-15 18:28:00

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Gary Martin <garycmartin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2011, at 20:25, Simon Schampijer <simon@schampijer.de> wrote:
>
> > On 02/14/2011 02:10 PM, Nagarjuna G wrote:
> > > This is a proposal for discussion to develop concept mapping mode
> > > within Labyrinth or as an independent activity using the code base of
> > > Labyrinth.  I elaborate below how Labyrinth can be developed/modified
> > > further to support concept mapping.
> > >
> > > 1.  Concept mapping requires, unlike mind maps, names/labels to be
> > > given to each link.
> > > 2.  A mode switch can be provided to change between mind maps and concept maps.
> > > 3.  Keeping the map while in concept map mode should create a file
> > > which stores mode preference + the map.
> > > 4. Concept mapping requires multiple parents (this is possible in
> > > labyrith, but by delinking the nodes after making them.)  We can
> > > possibly achieve this by adding a node with a KeyPress + MouseClick on
> > > the canvas.
> > > 5.  Concept mapping requires cross links between nodes (this is
> > > already possible in Labyrinth)
> > > 6.  An option to keep in CmapTools format (which is an XML ecnoding)
> > > for data exchange between other concept mapping apps.
> > >
> > > I would like to know what your reactions are to this proposal.  Please
> > > comment on the feasibility.
> > >
> > > gnowledge lab (http://lab.gnowledge.org) can undertake this
> > > development work with help from the current developers of Labyrith.
> > > Of course, if the current team is happy to implement these features,
> > > that will be wonderful.  Our lab does teacher training on Sugar in
> > > India, and we desperately need a free concept mapping application.
> > > Once I hear your views, we can start the work as soon as possible.
> > >
> > > thanks in advance
> > > --
> > > Nagarjuna
> >
> > Hi Nagarjuna,
> >
> > thanks for sharing your interest! Actually we were talking about this need here \
> > at OLPC (today!!!) as well. The Concept Maps are often used in education. If you \
> > would find ways to enhance Labyrinth, that would be great. For example, changing \
> > the color of a bubble might work as a first step to indicate the relationship:
> > (Sugar)
> > >
> > (UI)
> > >
> > (GNOME)
> >
> > Having the 'UI' bubble in another color than the 'Sugar' and 'GNOME' bubble would \
> > indicate that it is an relationship. I am sure there are other and better ways - \
> > just a quick idea.
>
> There was a quick fix added to make floating text labels that I was not really \
> happy with from a design perspective, but folks were hollering for it and I had no \
> time to work on it, so I let it pass. What should have happened is for the label \
> tool button to actually be a thought style button. It would at minimum allow 1) the \
> default box style as is; 2) a line style (where the spline link forms a horizontal \
> line under the text AKA a labeled link as is being requested now for concept maps); \
> [...]

I am thinking of the following approach.  When in concept mapping
mode, each time we create a sibling, we can create an intermediary
node without outline with splines on either side  Whenever we need to
create a crow-feet, we can select the label created as above followed
by inserting a normal sibling without an intermediary node.  Here we
interpret a regular concept node without an outline and background
color as a link.  What do you think?

--
GN