List:       olpc-localization
Subject:    Re: [Localization] Translating the manuals?
From:       Clytie Siddall <clytie () riverland ! net ! au>
Date:       2010-03-26 7:59:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

To: OLPC Localization list
Cc: Deb18n and Translate Toolkit lists, hoping to pick their brains

Background: the XO laptop software is available in Vietnamese. An OLPC project in \
Vietnam asked me for translated manuals.

Chris, thankyou for your detailed reply. My comments are interleaved below.

On 26/03/2010, at 2:57 AM, Chris Leonard wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Clytie Siddall <clytie@riverland.net.au> wrote:
>
> 1. Has anyone translated any part of these [OLPC] manuals into Vietnamese?
>
> 2. If not, can we get this text on Pootle (e.g. using po4a [1] which converts many \
> doc formats into PO files)?
> So, Clytie, this is a more expansive answer to your question about localizing the \
> manuals into Vietnamese and the tools available to do so.
> For long form texts (like manuals and web-sites) it isn't quite as simple as just \
> scraping the translatable strings with a tool like po4a and posting the PO file on \
> Pootle.  The eco-system of tools is simply not as complete or mature as it is for \
> code internationalization (i18n) and localization (L10n) and perhaps even more \
> importantly, the familiarity and experience with support of po4a doesn't exist \
> within the OLPC community at present.

Taking on any new process is definitely a barrier, and doc-l10n is definitely a \
complex task.

> For code, there is a fairly mature eco-system of tools that make a coordinated / \
> distributed publication process simpler for localizers and developers alike.  Tools \
> like gettext assist in the first phase of i18n (preparing PO files) and there are \
> also methods for connecting Pootle up to software repositories (like git) that can \
> help keep the repo and the PO files concurrent and synchronized.  After L10n is \
> completed, there are further mechanisms for committing the completed PO file back \
> to the repository where additional i18n steps occur in the build-creation phase of \
> release publication (e.g. generation of MO files and language packs).
> Even so, it takes a fair amount of manual intervention behind the scenes to make \
> all of this work.  By-and-large, Sayamindu carries most of that burden by himself, \
> which is why I've chosen to work on various administrivia aspects of the Sugar Labs \
> / OLPC localization effort, so that he can focus on the absolutely critical stuff \
> that he is uniquely qualified to do.  We are fortunate that for the most part our \
> developers are committed to doing their part with respect to i18n, particularly the \
> core Sugar developers and a good handful of Activity developers, but there is still \
> room for improvement in terms of a number of individually contributed Actvities and \
> getting them set up for inclusion in Pootle. This is mostly an ongoing education \
> challenge and not a technical issue.

Indeed. Even long-established i18n projects are still evolving at this level. The \
whole distributed nature of FLOSS, and its voluntary contributions, can make it \
difficult to establish standards and change practice. However, a few enthusiasts can \
achieve a great deal. Sayamindu is a valiant example: without him investing the time \
to learn about Pootle, set it up and support it, many OLPC localizations would not \
exist. I wouldn't even know about OLPC: I only found out about it via the Pootle \
list, IIRC. The leading FLOSS i18n projects owe much of their success and virtually \
all of their progress to a few dedicated volunteer coordinators. So we can do it, but \
it takes time and effort to build a workable and sustainable process.

> A far as long-form HTML-based text there is something of a gap in the maturity of \
> the tools, particularly with respect to the interfaces between the i18n and L10n \
> (and then back to i18n) process, and while it is true that po4a is an attempt to \
> address this, it is simply not at the same "plug-n-play" level as a toolset as what \
> is currently available for code L10n.  No insult meant to the developers of po4a (I \
> applaud and appreciate their work), but they themselves refer to these issues in \
> the rather extensive manpage below.  Reading it gives you some flavor for the \
> complexities involved.
> http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/man/man7/po4a.7.php
>
> It may seem a little unfair, but by the "eat your own cooking " standard, if you \
> look at the repo for po4a, they only have their own documentation localized into a \
> small handful of European languages, which must say something about the tool itself \
> or at least the overall context in which it currently exists.

As a Debian translator, I can tell you I haven't translated that manpage because I \
haven't had the time. It's a matter of priorities for what resources you have \
available. I'd be interested to hear what the larger language teams have to say. Odds \
are a briefer manpage would get translated first.

> Their L10n process still involves many manual steps that play themselves out on \
> their e-mail lists, and this is not a truly scalable solution.

I agree with you entirely on HTML and websites in general. They are a pain to \
translate. It's very difficult to keep up with changes. I don't really know any \
project which handles website-translation effectively, although Debian probably comes \
closest: the pages are accessible via source control, there is good documentation on \
what to do, you have an RSS feed and diff for updates, but you're still working with \
wml files and no segmentation or effective metadata. I tend to avoid webpages for \
this reason. Nearly all web/wiki pages I've translated initially have languished \
without update due to the difficulty of following the pages up, compared to normal \
PO/XLIFF update. Of the few web/wiki pages I currently maintain:

1. Scratch website [1]
The files are on their Pootle. I have no idea what l10n process they go through, but \
I translated this website simply because it was promoting free software and available \
in PO format, so I could use my offline editor or Pootle. Time will show if it gets \
updated regularly. I have yet to see my translation on the website. The quality of \
the original strings was appalling, showing that review is an essential part of the \
L10n process.

2. TuxPaint website [2]
These files were available on the Locamotion Pootle, during the Decathlon project. I \
could use my existing workflow. We are currently setting up an ongoing process to \
update the files and continue using Pootle (I volunteered to support this project). \
Wordpress is also available on the Locamotion Pootle, so I translated that as well \
(hopefully someone will volunteer to support it).

3. Creative Commons, Frugalware, GNU/Linux Matters – all available on their \
individual Pootles.

Manuals and other docs are more accessible in some projects.

1. GNOME makes all manuals/docs available in PO format right next to the application \
files they support (e.g. [3]) in their translation interface, and can also be updated \
and committed via git. Even though we haven't had the resources to do many of the \
docs yet, we have done the licences, for example, and the fact that the docs are \
available in PO format, fully as easy to grab and as up-to-date as the application \
files, means they are more accessible to us than other docs. They will get translated \
simply because they are there and we can use an effective editing and update process.

2. KDE does the same as GNOME (initially inventing the stats/access interface, but \
now GNOME have invented their "Damned Lies" interface which I find superior). It \
works well for them. We didn't have the resources to start on the docs, but we will \
when we do.

3. Debian does get more results. AFAI can tell, all the manuals, manpages, release \
announcements, reference cards etc. (that's a truly enormous mass of documentation) \
are available in PO format via SVN. There are status webpages, reminders on the list, \
build logs, almost-live web display, plus I get RSS/email reminders when they need \
updating, and can just pull the updated file from source control, then commit my \
changes. While source control access can be a barrier to added participation, it \
works well for translators who are accustomed to it. I maintain more docs at Debian \
than anywhere else, simply because they are available, always updated, and the Deb18n \
project itself is (in my experience) the leading internationalization project in \
FLOSS. It reviews original strings, uses more recent gettext tools (e.g. \
msgid-previous, so you can compare the previous original string to the changed one) \
and invents its own tools, follows up on translation implementation, is extremely \
well-executed and innovative, and it is generally a pleasure and a satisfaction to \
volunteer for Deb18n. Quality is their highest priority. So, despite the initial load \
of setting up the po4a etc. process for their docs, the results have IMNSHO been \
worth it. However, economy of scale comes into play with projects as large as Debian. \
Create po-debconf or po4a, put in all the work to implement it, and the output grows. \
This may not apply as well to a small project, although in my experience the \
investment in tools and lowering access barriers for translators is generally a good \
return.

4. Pootle's docs are available on the Locamotion Pootle, and are fully-translated and \
updated in Vietnamese. The wiki pages are also going to be on Pootle, but meanwhile, \
I haven't been able to keep up with the updates to those pages. I find the contrast \
telling in this context, since the wiki information is often of higher (and more \
topical) priority. I would certainly work on those pages if I had a viable \
translate/update process, with string segmentation.

5. I also maintain occasional docs where the developer sends me update emails. These \
docs get lower priorities, however, because I have to work with a page of text and a \
manual diff, rather than a translation format. It's simply more time-consuming and \
more liable to create errors. Also, it's more difficult to maintain translation \
memory.

So, Pootle and PO/XLIFF conversions have worked for me with docs. Manual maintenance \
of pages of text has not. I recognize the amount of work necessary to set up the \
level of support we translators need.

> Importantly, a significant aspect of the maturity gap has to do with user training \
> as much as the tools themselves.  As a rule, FOSS software developers have accepted \
> the importance of localization and are easily induced to do their part on i18n

Ha! I can feel many i18n project coordinators rolling over in their graves (the ones \
who died of frustration, that is). Easily? Try "after a great deal of blood, sweat \
and tears". ;)

> but authors (both web-page developers and part-time documentation writers) have not \
> yet been as well-indoctrinated by the localization community and so there is often \
> a disconnect between the format of the document as produced by the authors as well \
> as the tools they use to publish it (e.g. their site-hosting or wiki for instance) \
> and the processes involved in i18n-L10n.  Mostly this means that there is much more \
> manual intervention needed because the automation of these tools for a highly \
> distributed environment like Sugar Labs / OLPC has not reached the same level of \
> sophistication on the back-end, in order to provide the simplest interface for \
> developers and localizers on the front-end.

Actually, many application developers neglect their own documentation. Either they \
aren't comfortable with explanatory writing and user support, or they simply give it \
lower priority due to ignorance ("Everyone knows how to do X") or lack of time. As \
with translators, the app strings come first. So docs need better support in general.

I agree, however, that many people creating documents and not apps. may not be \
accustomed to localization as an essential step in the process. And we prefer \
"supported" to "indoctrinated". ;)

There is indeed a "disconnect", even a series of them. I haven't been particularly \
impressed even with the internationalization built in to a CMS like Drupal. We don't \
have a workable process to replace the app-based PO setup. Everyone flounders around \
with their own process, and so far nothing really works for the entry-level doc \
writer.

> The "right" way to address the localization of long-form text is a challenge that \
> has been kicked around in a number of OLPC forums, the library list (for HTML-based \
> content), the wiki gang (for wiki L10n) as well as the Support Gang list (for the \
> localization of manuals and other documentation).  To date, no clear consensus \
> around tools or methods has appeared.  Solutions remain a mix of one-off and \
> intensively manual processes.   There have been various attempts to work towards \
> using PO-file based methods (like the an early attempt with the OLPC web-site \
> itself), but they have not gained real momentum or sustainability.
> The FLOSS manuals setup for localization has been explored, but I don't think it \
> could be called truly successful (while different languages have been set up, the \
> number of those completed and published is not great).  Whether that is due to the \
> tools or the challenge of coordinating the human resources involved is not \
> ewntirely clear to me.

I've registered there, joined Yet Another Mailing List™, and will give you some \
feedback once you provide the reviewed manuals on which you recommended I begin. From \
what I've seen of the FLOSS Manuals site [4] so far, I have concerns about access \
control (spam or inexperienced translating, and overwriting of existing translations) \
and the ability to use translation memory, backup your work, or get workable diffs \
with update. So far, I haven't received any answers to specific questions on those \
issues on the FLOSS Manuals list, although they have been quick to welcome and \
support participation. I think it is likely that the site is setup more for \
writing/publishing than localizing.

> Obviously, there are real advantages to be gained by providing a single interface \
> (Pootle) to localizers, but all of the necessary pieces have not yet been assembled \
> to enable that for long-form text L10n work yet.
> I wish there was a happy answer to your question.  I do think that some individual \
> elements of the solution are available (like po4a), but it will take some \
> considerable effort by a fair number of people to establish and then maintain a \
> long-form text publication process that works as smoothly as the current code L10n \
> set-up.  Given that neither Sugar Labs or OLPC has genuinely taken ownership of the \
> textual content creation and curation process, I'm not sure that the committed \
> resources to accomplish an overall solution will be forthcoming and so this remains \
> a challenge that is not adequately addressed.
> Those are just my thoughts, which are not intended as criticisms but as an \
> acknowledgement of the status quo.  There are some content-creation projects \
> related to health education on the XO laptop that I would love to take on, but I've \
> put them on the back-burner because I don't think they would be sustainable (in a \
> useful, localized form) with the level of resources I could commit by myself.

It comes down to resources every time (would short-time investment, e.g. a grant or \
Google SoC project, make a difference?). Thankyou very much for your thoughts. This \
is really a pan-project issue, and one affecting all of us.

I'd be interested to see suggestions from translators, coordinators and the \
Pootle/Translate-Toolkit devs on what we really need to make doc translations \
effective and sustainable. Can we simplify or build on the \
po4a/Translate-Toolkit/Pootle process? Can we integrate other existing XLIFF tools? \
What works for you? What would work better?

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team

[1] http://scratch.mit.edu/

[2] http://www.tuxpaint.org/

[3] http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/vi

[4] http://en.flossmanuals.net/FLOSSManuals/TranslatingAManual